PractiTest has two types of issue-integration with Redmine:
- One-Way integration – standard integration that works like all other PractiTest integrations. Once you click on the Fail & Issue link in a test run, it will open a new bug form in Redmine, with all the data (steps and actual results) already pre-entered inside Redmine.
- Two-Way integration – works like the one-way integration with Redmine and in addition, displays in PractiTest the bug’s subject and status as it appears in Redmine, and also allows Redmine to update PractiTest (via a dedicated plugin) whenever the subject or status are modified.
This document describes how the two-way integration works and how to set it up.
Note that the two-way integration is supported by PractiTest’s Enterprise license only.
Working with Two-Way Integration
To work with the integration, the user starts by running the test in PractiTest:
- Go to a TestSet
- Choose the test you want to run and click the “Run” link
- When a step fails, update the actual results
- Click the ‘Fail & Issue’ link
- This step is the same for both one-way and the two-way integration with Redmine. PractiTest will open Redmine’s new issue form with all the test data pre-entered.
- Fill out the relevant information for your bug report.
- Save the Issue, and that’s it. The plugin will do the rest in order to keep the bug and test synchronized.
- PractiTest will continue to be updated even when you change issue status or name.
We recommend you to take a look at this video to see how it works:
Configuring the two-way integration
The configuration of the two-way integration is very straightforward:
1. Add the designated Redmine plugin for PractiTest
- Goto redmine/plugins directory
- Clone / copy the project from PractiTest’s github at https://github.com/PractiTest/Redmine-Test-Management
(on linux just cd redmine_dir/plugins, then do git clone git://github.com/PractiTest/Redmine-Test-Management.git)
- Rename “Redmine-Test-Management” to practitest (on linux: mv Redmine-Test-Management practitest)
- Restart the Redmine server (on apache, just do from Redmine directory: touch tmp/restart.txt)
2. Configure the Redmine plugin
- Goto Administration-> Plugins in Redmine
- Click Edit, where you see PractiTest plugin. If you can’t see it, please validate you restarted the server (see the step above)
- Fill out the API token and url. The url should be either https://api.practitest.com if your account is hosted is the US datacenter, or https://eu1-prod-api.practitest.app/ if you are hosted in the EU datacenter. If you are not sure where your account is hosted, please contact our support to verify. To retrieve the API token, go to your Account Settings (only on Enterprise license) - integrations tab, and select Redmine.
3. Adding the pt_id custom field to Redmine
- Add an integer custom field named “pt_id” to Redmine. See how to do this on the screenshots below
- Once the pt_id is added write down the ID it received in Redmine because you will need it later on (when you edit the field, the ID should be on the url – for example…redmine_url/custom_fields/xx/edit – where xx is what you need)
4. Configure PractiTest to integrate with Redmine
- Configure PractiTest (similar to the one-way integration)
- Goto Project Settings > Integrations
- Select Redmine, enter the url prefix, and the project prefix
- Enter also the ID for the pt_id field, it is the one you wrote down on step #3
And that’s it!
You and your users are ready to start enjoying the Two-Way Integration.