PractiTest has two types of issue-integration with Redmine:
- One-Way integration – standard integration that works like all other PractiTest integrations. Once you click on the Fail & Issue link in a test run, it will open a new bug form in Redmine, with all the data (steps and actual results) already pre-entered inside Redmine.
- Two-Way integration – works like the one-way integration with Redmine and in addition, displays in PractiTest the bug’s subject and status as it appears in Redmine, and also allows Redmine to update PractiTest (via a dedicated plugin) whenever the subject or status are modified.
This document describes how the two-way integration works and how to set it up.
Note that the two-way integration is supported by PractiTest’s Enterprise license only.
Working with Two-Way Integration
To work with the integration, the user starts by running the test in PractiTest:
- Go to a TestSet
- Choose the test you want to run and click the “Run” link
- When a step fails, update the actual results
- Click the ‘Fail & Issue’ link
- This step is the same for both one-way and the two-way integration with Redmine. PractiTest will open Redmine’s new issue form with all the test data pre-entered.
- Fill out the relevant information for your bug report.
- Save the Issue, and that’s it. The plugin will do the rest in order to keep the bug and test synchronized.
- PractiTest will continue to be updated even when you change issue status or name.
We recommend you to take a look at this video to see how it works:
Configuring the two-way integration
The configuration of the two-way integration is very straightforward:
1. Add the designated Redmine plugin for PractiTest
- Goto redmine/plugins directory
- Clone / copy the project from PractiTest’s github at https://github.com/PractiTest/Redmine-Test-Management
(on linux just cd redmine_dir/plugins, then do git clone git://github.com/PractiTest/Redmine-Test-Management.git)
- Rename “Redmine-Test-Management” to practitest (on linux: mv Redmine-Test-Management practitest)
- Restart the Redmine server (on apache, just do from Redmine directory: touch tmp/restart.txt)
2. Configure the Redmine plugin
- Goto Administration-> Plugins in Redmine
- Click Edit, where you see PractiTest plugin. If you can’t see it, please validate you restarted the server (see the step above)
- Fill out the API token and url. The url should be https://api.practitest.com. To retrieve the API token, go to your Account Settings (only on Enterprise license) - integrations tab, and select Redmine.
3. Adding the pt_id custom field to Redmine
- Add an integer custom field named “pt_id” to Redmine. See how to do this on the screenshots below
- Once the pt_id is added write down the ID it received in Redmine because you will need it later on (when you edit the field, the ID should be on the url – for example…redmine_url/custom_fields/xx/edit – where xx is what you need)
4. Configure PractiTest to integrate with Redmine
- Configure PractiTest (similar to the one-way integration)
- Goto Project Settings > Integrations
- Select Redmine, enter the url prefix, and the project prefix
- Enter also the ID for the pt_id field, it is the one you wrote down on step #3
And that’s it!
You and your users are ready to start enjoying the Two-Way Integration.